In Celta Digital we love Irish folk music, being the genre that represents Altan, a talented musical group that started in 1987 in Donegal, a city belonging to the illustrious Irish country.
The initiative to form Altan comes from the dreams of a young couple of Irish musicians called Mairéad Ni Mhaonaigh who serves as vocalist and Frankir Kennedy, their marriage unfortunately lasted from 1955 to 1994.
In the early years, the band was composed of its founders and other musicians such as Dermot Byne and Paul O’Shaughnessy, who helped to give it a boost. Subsequently, each of them was dedicated to personal projects different from Altan and today the band is formed by 5 members:
- The talented Mairéad Ni Mhaonaigh, its founder, vocalist and violinist
- Martin Tourish
- Ciarán Tourishcenario
- Dáithí Sproule
- Ciarán Curran
How did Altan’s success begin?
The world of music is not a fairy tale, it requires a lot of dedication and commitment to this art to bring it forward. And this is exactly what we could see and we still see reflected in Altan’s songs, which come in the Gaelic language but also in the more traditional Irish style, with the instruments that characterize this type of music.
Only in 1994 they managed to sell around the world one million copies, and that together with their growing fame among fans helped them to sign with one of the most prestigious record companies of the time, Virgin Records.
This talented group has hosted a large number of fans throughout the world, in several countries in Europe, United Kingdom, United States and Japan. They have even achieved multiple collaborations and presentations with artists from the global sphere such as musicians Dolly Parton Enya, Alison Krauss and Bonnie Raitt, being Altan inspiration of the greatest in musical history.
Among the most famous songs of the group we find between 1998 to 2000 at Cambridge Folk Festival. And recently Cool as Folk, produced in 2007.
The instrumentalist band with songs in Gaelic language that has managed to capture the attention and hearts of much of the mute has a wide discography. The albums of the Irish band in their studio are:
- Horse with a Heart: released in 1989 as the first cast of songs.
- The Red Crow: The debut of this album was in 1990.
- Harvest Storm: One of its most successful works in 1992.
- Island Angel: Together with the former members of the band released this album the following year, in 1993.
- Blackwater: With members outside of Altan like Kennedy decide to release this album in 1996.
- Runaway Sunday: The quality of their songs was still at the top and this repertoire was made in 1997, along with the version of Mariéad’s father called Gleanntáin Ghlas.
- Another Sky: For the new century comes out this discography work in 2000.
- The Blue Idol: arises in 2002, maintaining the fame of the group.
- Local Ground: repertoire released in 2005.
- 25th Anniversary Celebration: His most recent work and to celebrate his anniversary was done in 2010.
- Gleann Nimhe – The Poison Glen: Released in 2012.
- The Widening Gyre: This is the most recent album of 2015.
Other important albums that the band created for their live fans, and which at the same time form a compilation of their greatest hits of that time, were the following:
- The First Ten Years: Made in 1995.
- The Best of Altan: It was as we pointed out in 1997.
- Altan’s Finest: Released for the year 2000 as the beginning of the century.
- Ocean Again: Created between 1987 and 1993 but debuted in 2000.The Best of Alta: The Songs: With a cast of the best songs until 2003.